All members please note that the Road Lake at Little Rowfant will be closed on Friday 25th September for maintenance works.
Please note that Rowfant Mill Pond will be closed on Tuesday 8th September for the spraying of lilies.
Richard Hewitt, a long-standing C.D.A.S member, has kindly shared an image of his cased Pike caught from Rowfant in 1936. Presumably it’s from Rowfant Mill, but we can’t say for certain.
At a length of 36 inches, it is thought to weigh approximately 12 – 14lb, and was captured by someone known as, or with the initials: “J.E.T.S”. The name is a mystery, so if anyone happens to recognise it then please feel free to get in touch using the contact form. It would be interesting to learn more about this capture!
At the Wilderness (Little Rowfant) on the 3rd June, a member has left a 15ft match rod and Maver reel in a green NGT rod protector.
It was left in or around swim 6. If you happen to see the rod or picked it up please contact us using the contact form here
Due to a printing error on the Official Competition Fixture List on your Club Membership Card, the WILDERNESS WILL BE CLOSED ON THURSDAY 25 JUNE 2020 to accommodate a pre-arrangement for the Airport Club.
This fixture is incorrectly shown on the list as Thursday 25 July 2020 (which does not exist, as this date is a Saturday). Therefore this date will now be available to all members as usual. The correct date is shown on the C&DAS website.
We are sorry for any inconvenience.
In the light of the recent announcement by the Angling Trust, I am pleased to advise all members that with immediate effect competitions will be commencing on our waters in line with the 2020 – 21 match schedule. The first scheduled competition being held will be on Wednesday 3rd June at Little Rowfant lakes.
For all those intending to participate in competitions held on C&DAS waters, your Committee wish to bring to your attention the guidance by which competitions will be operated as detailed on the Angling Trust web-site. Specifically, and noting how C&DAS competitions are hosted under our normal rules, and after liaising with Alan Eggleton, Competition Secretary, as to where we need to adapt our approach, but still operating within the guidelines, I want to use this opportunity to highlight the following;
- Recognising C&DAS do not require competitors to pre-book attendance, we will not be introducing this for the first match on Wednesday 3rd June. However, if the numbers of attendees exceeds expectations we reserve the right to implement a pre-booking system for future matches & whilst restrictions remain in place.
- Social distancing to be practiced at all times by competitors, this includes in the car park prior to & after matches, with additionally no walking around during matches.
- Pools can be paid for in cash, with this collected in by the Competition Secretary who will pay-out to the winners at the end of the match with the least amount of direct contact with the money.
- The draw will be conducted by the Competition Secretary on the basis of all matches being pegged down in allocated swims. No walk-off matches to be held during the time restrictions remain in place.
- All competitions will be one rod only until further notice.
- Weigh-ins to be conducted by the Competition Secretary & a nominated person only to accompany him around the water at the end of the match to assist, but primarily in recording the weights on the weigh sheet.
- We are currently endeavouring to purchase a plastic weigh bucket to use instead of the current net sling as this will be easier & assist in facilitating social distancing during the weigh-in.
- Hand sanitiser is strongly recommended to be brought by all competitors & used in all appropriate situations.
The full co-operation of all competitors will be required to ensure that we are able to continue to host competitions in a safe & fully compliant manner. On the day of a competition the Competition Secretary (or his deputy in his absence) has full discretion when running all matches – this taking into account not only the Angling Trust guidelines prevailing, but also implementing the Society’s general rules & regulations.
Competitions – Update re COVID-19 Procedures
Further to my recent news item / note in relation to competitions, we wish to formalise the booking-in procedure to make it easier on the day of future competitions to comply with the prevailing COVID-19 guidelines. With immediate effect the following will apply for those wishing to attend C&DAS competitions other than Night Competitions where current arrangements remain in place;
- All members wishing to participate in competitions will need to book-in by contacting Alan Eggleton, Competition Secretary by latest 9:00 p.m. on the Friday evening before a Sunday competition, or the Monday evening before a Wednesday competition.
- Members can contact Alan either by telephone on 01737 764731 or telephone / text on 07704 039447.
- The draw for pegs will be undertaken as members arrive in the car park so as to reduce time spent waiting for the draw / members congregating together to preserve social distancing requirements.
- All matches for the time being will remain peg down and one rod only.
Following the announcement from the Government on Sunday evening and in consultation with the Angling Trust I am delighted to announce that we will be opening Piltdown Pond on Wednesday 13th May and Little Rowfant Lakes & Rowfant Mill Pond on Monday 18th May – the delayed opening of our lakes at Rowfant being to allow some scheduled maintenance works to be completed. The River Ouse remains subject to the usual close season, i.e. will not be open until the 16th June.
You can only go fishing if you have a valid rod licence and you adhere to the Government guidelines on staying safe and alert. More information about what this means can be found here htps//joinanglingtrust.net/individual-anglers-phase-one-my-2020/
Please use the Angling Trust website for ongoing guidance, but if the club has to change its guidance significantly we will update members by way of placing information on the Society’s web-site and / or placing notices at our waters. Please ensure that when you go fishing you fully adhere to these guidelines, including social distancing and our usual club rules at all times. In relation to access gates & padlocks you are encouraged to wear protective gloves and / or clean hands thoroughly by way of taking hand sanitiser with you.
For the time being there will be no competition fishing on any of the Society’s waters.
We would encourage all members to complete & send in completed applications for season 2020 / 21 which commences on the 1st June – this year please note that C&DAS members are required to also send in a passport sized photograph along with the completed application form, cheque & SAE.
It is with great sadness that I write to advise Members of the recent death of our long-standing Member & Official of the Society, Dave Whitehouse. Dave had been fighting illness for the past few years, and passed away peacefully a few days ago. He was a Member of more than 40+ years standing, and been an Official of the Society for much of this time, including 20 years as General Secretary. His contribution to the success & development of the Society was significant, and he will be much missed both at our regular Committee meetings and on the waters for his wise and considered views. Dave’s funeral service is to be held at 2:00 p.m. on Thursday 12th March at the Sussex & Surrey Crematorium off the Balcombe Road, Crawley. His daughters, Lorna & Victoria, have provided an open invite to Members & friends to attend the service to celebrate his life.
Additionally, Lorna & Victoria have donated Dave’s considerable collection of fishing tackle to the Society with a view to raising funds for an organisation that Dave felt so passionately about. Your Committee have decided to bring a number of items to the AGM scheduled for Thursday 2nd April with a view to auctioning them, with all proceeds to go to the Society. As a mark of respect to Dave, and to provide a lasting memorial to his contribution to the Society, we plan to install an engraved bench on the bottom bank of the Wilderness Lake at Little Rowfant – this being an area that Dave regularly fished both in pleasure sessions & in our walk-off matches.
It is with great sadness that I report that Jim Smith has recently passed away. Those members who fished on the River Ouse over the past 50 years will no doubt recall Jim who was such a character & had such a passion for the river & the local area. The OAPS web-site – please see link below, has a lovely piece written to reflect Jim’s contribution to the OAPS & the catchment area.
Can all members please note that with immediate effect the Committee will be monitoring cormorant sightings on our lakes at Little Rowfant. Recognising it is not possible to have Society Officials on the waters 24 hours per day, we are asking members to advise the Committee of all cormorant sightings at Little Rowfant Lakes by way of a simple e-mail to the C&DAS e-mail address to include the following information;
Numbers of cormorants :